This article describes the various types of roofing tiles, characteristics of good roofing tiles and determinants of roofing tiles prices. A good resource to guide prospective roofing tiles buyers in making informed decisions.
Other than protecting the occupants of a building and their possessions from all forms of weather, a roof says a lot about the owner of the structure. There are various types of roofing tiles available in the market to give your house a modern and appealing look.They come in different shapes, patterns, colors, sizes and are made from various materials.
Types of roofing tiles
Below are the most common roofing tiles available in the market.
- Slate Roof Tiles – are made from natural stones and are ideal for a person who wants to give their roof a natural unique touch.
- Metal Roof Tiles – are made from metals such as aluminum, steel, zinc and copper.
- Concrete Roof Tiles -they are made from concrete and are very attractive. One can mistake them for clay and slate tiles
- Composite Roof Tiles- are made from a mixture of man-made and natural materials.
- Clay Roof Tile-are made from clay.
- Synthetic Slate Roof Tiles – they look like slate tiles except they are made from synthetic materials.
Slate, concrete and clay roofing tiles are heavy as compared to metal, composite and synthetic slate tiles. Metal tiles are relatively expensive compared to the rest owing to their durability and ability to withstand weather. The tiles are suitable for varying climatic conditions. For instance, metal clay and slate tiles are good for hot areas. Below is an example of a roofing tile.
Factors determining roofing tiles prices in Kenya
The following are the three most common factors influencing roofing tiles prices in Kenya.
- Material- metal tiles are relatively expensive compared to other types of tiles owing to their durability. Other tiles are slightly cheaper. It is important therefore to weigh between cost and durability.
- Demand and supply – roofing tiles ion high demand are relatively expensive as compared to the ones on low demand. It is important to note that high demand does not necessarily reflect quality.
- Ease of accessibility – locally manufactured tiles are slightly cheaper compared to the imported ones.
Characteristics of good roofing tiles
It is important to consider the following factors before spending your hard earned cash on roofing tiles.
- Strength and stability – a roof structure should be strong and stable enough to endure loads such as wind and snow.
- Resistance to weather- good roofing tiles should be resistant to water, wind and heat.
- Durability- good roofing tiles should be able to last long and give value for money. The cost of maintenance should be minimal making them inexpensive in the long run.,
- Fire safety- good roofing tiles shouldbe fire resistant.
- Resistance to the passage of sound. – a good roofing tile should be sound proof. Outside sounds such as passing vehicles rain should not be heard by those in the structure. Sound made by the occupants of the house should also not come out.
- Security – the roof offers protection for its occupants and their possessions. A good roofing tile should do exactly this.
There are a variety of roofing tiles to choose from. They come in different shapes, materials, sizes and colors. Some of them are locally manufactured whereas some are imported. All these factors have a bearing on their prices. Check Colourful roofing.