A rain gun is a gun sprinkler mounted on a tripod stand and has helped grow the agricultural sector by providing an efficient irrigation system.
This article is helpful for one looking for a rain gun, it focuses on the basics of the irrigation system.
Basics of a Rain Gun
One needs to understand the basics of this type of irrigation system such as the model, installation, uses and importance, and application areas to know the best system to apply.
It is made up of;
- Rain gun sprinkler steel tripod stand that firmly holds it in position.
- Pumping unit
- Conveying/Delivery pipes- which comprise of polyvinyl chloride pipes (PVC), polypropylene random pipes (ppr), and high-density polyethylene pipes (HDPE). Pressure rates at 8 nominal (PN8)
- Filtration unit- screen filters the debris and prevent them from passing into the mainline to cause blockage.
- Firmly connect the rain gun head to the tripod stand to avoid toppling
- Attach a PVC, HDPE, or delivery pipe to the gun sprinkler inlet at the base
- Adjust the water gun sprinkler to the desired angle.
Below is a picture of an already fixed rain gun sprinkler:
Factors to consider when choosing a pump sizing
Pump sizing is the process of matching pump water pressure and flow rate to that Of the rain gun against a gradient ensuring irrigation water reaches the targeted areas. The following factors should be taken into consideration;
- Understanding the gun’s flow rate and the working pressure
- Plant the requirement of water per irrigation cycles
- Type of plant
- Climatic conditions
- Topographic/slope of the farm
Agriculture is so far the backbone of the economy in Kenya. Through different agents, the government included, irrigation has been looked into and technological devices have been improvised to improve farming. Several agribusinesses, therefore, provide rain gun for sale in Kenya making it susceptible to access.
It has the following impacts-
- Highly energy-competent, trouble-free and durable
- Reduces labor cost
- Reduced the time required for irrigation
- Precipitation differs depending on the size of the nozzle, but overlapping isn’t a necessity.
- Part circle changes regulates water preventing it from entering the neighboring plantations
- A gear inside the jet ensures the operation of the gun
- The backup of good after-sales and services
- Results in improved efficiency
- The prohibitive cost of rain guns
- Repairs are done by a qualified personnel
- Not suitable in areas with high-velocity wind
- High day time temperature results in evaporation loss
- Rain gun and raiser pipes are heavy
Forestry for seedling and mature trees
Broad acre crops
Used on crops that are not affected by fungal diseases. It is applied in irrigation pastures, tall bushes orchards, maize plantations of large acreage because of water usage and radius of throw which covers large distances within a single rotation.
In conclusion, this article covers the basics one needs to know about rain gun sprinklers and helps determine the requirements of fixing a rain gun. It also explores its impacts thus helping one be knowledgeable on why he/she should choose a rain gun.